Friday, December 19, 2014

Find your roots



O Root of Jesse says the O Antiphon for today. A sign for the people, before whom Kings remain silent.

What message can we take from today’s O antiphon? While thinking of yesterday’s gospel, I felt attracted to the thought of going inward, seeking meaning, and using reflection to create depth to one’s life. Now, I can see that such thoughts mirror the concept of roots…for roots seek depth.

There is less than a week before Christmas. When I take a look around, I see lights and decorations everywhere. I like that, for it fills my soul with the spirit of light, the spirit of Christmas, one filled with joy and hope and good feelings.

But I am coming to regard this Christmas season as offering almost the opposite of what should govern our spiritual lives. Jesus came out of mystery, as Romans 16:26 says: the revelation of the mystery kept secret for long ages but now manifested through the prophetic writings--made known to all nations...

For me, to find my own mystery I must retrace my steps by traveling inward where all revelation is made manifest. What do I mean? God does speak to me. But I have not trained myself to be aware of the Voice. I look for signs, for lights, for outward things to give me feelings of warmth and joy.

I need to seek inward, in my own soul, for that same joy and warmth. I will find it when I uncover the revelation that awaits my discovery.

Jesus born in a stable is celebrated once a year. I can celebrate the revelation of the Divine Being every day, in my inner sanctum, in my soul, in my roots.

O Root of Jesse, who stood as a sign for the people, before you kings shall remain silent, and to you the Gentiles shall make supplication: come to deliver us, and do not delay. (O Antiphon for Dec. 19th)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...