Wednesday, December 24, 2014

The gift story




I was frustrated. I had spent the entire day shopping for friends who were very well off and could not find anything appropriate. I'd gone from store to store hoping that something would jump out at me, but nothing did. I went home feeling I had wasted a whole day.

The next day, I stopped by the local grocery store to buy some supplies for myself for Christmas. When I got to the checkout counter, I waited patiently as a young mother in front of me emptied her very full cart. Why do I always pick the lines with the fullest baskets? I asked myself, impatient to move on. Seems to be a talent I wish I could lose!

I watched, a little annoyed, as the mother continued to empty the cart. It was mostly full of groceries, but I noticed a couple toys as well. When it came time for her to pay, she handed the cashier a card. "This isn't enough," the cashier informed her as she swiped the card. The young woman quickly pulled out another card and swiped it. I wasn't sure what was happening, but I noticed she kept swiping the same card. "Debit?" asked the cashier. "Yes," she said and swiped it again.

I looked away, waiting for her to find what she needed. The woman rummaged through her purse without success. I heard her say, "My paycheck must not have come through yet," and saw her searching for money. Her hands were visibly shaking. I listened attentively now, as the woman found a couple twenties and handed them over. "You still owe twenty-one forty eight," the cashier said. The mother put her purse down and looked at her cart. Then she began pulling toys out of her cart and putting them back on the conveyer belt.

I suddenly realized what was up, and my inner spirit was awakened. I gave it a quick thought, and then took out my wallet, pulling out twenty-two dollars. I handed it to the cashier, who looked at me with surprise. I nodded towards the mother so the cashier knew it was to pay the balance. The cashier turned to the mother and said, "Honey, she's got the rest and she's paying for you." The mother stopped and slowly turned, looking at me with surprise. "You don't have to do this," she said quietly.  "I know," I replied. "I'm doing it because I want to. Merry Christmas." She turned away to put the toys back in her cart.

The cashier punched a button and the drawer opened. As she handed me my change, I noticed that the young mother was wiping tears from her cheeks. The cashier noticed too, and tears formed in her eyes. "You don't often see this," she said to the shopper behind me. "I've been a recipient of much kindness over the years," I told the cashier. "Now it's my chance to pass it on."  The mother turned and thanked me again. Then she pushed her cart forward and disappeared.

When I left the story after my own purchases, I felt that I was the one who had been given a gift. I had spent a whole day shopping for people who needed nothing. God let me find the person who really needed a gift. When I gave that gift to the mother who ran out of money, I felt that it was rather I who was gifted.

God gives us opportunities to give true gifts. We need just be open and ready.

1 comment:

  1. Very touching and so true, in your ponderings. What a gift you gave, received, and have shared to inspire us all.

    ReplyDelete

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...