Thursday, December 13, 2012

An extraordinary gift


I was newly moved to a bigger monastery. I felt lost, lonely, and isolated. I said a little prayer, one that I did not really expect to be answered. I asked if I could just see a kitty, just hear one meow. A couple days later, the workman came to see me and said, "Look what I found!" and pulled a scrawny little kitten about 4 weeks old out of his coat pocket. "We found it in the leaves," he said. I could not believe my eyes. I was even more shocked when I was allowed to keep the little guy. I named him Buttons.

When it became clear that I needed to leave the monastery and the monastic way of life, I asked if I could keep Buttons. The answer was an overwhelming yes. I moved to live with my brother in Texas. Buttons was with me. When I moved back to Massachusetts, Buttons came too. He moved with me every time I found it necessary to relocate. I could not imagine life without him. He was always there when I came home, greeting me at the front door. I used to wonder how he knew when I had arrived. Then I just got used to having him there at the door when I unlocked it. He was better than a dog!

Buttons hated riding in the car, but I took him with me whenever I went away for several months. He would adjust to the temporary home, always coming out at night to sleep on my feet. I got so use to him being there, it became part of going to sleep at night.

And Buttons was a smart cat. I tried endlessly to outsmart him, with very little success. He won 99% of the time. I accepted this, as this is what it means to be an owner of a cat. You have to accept their superiority!

On Monday Dec. 10, Buttons had come to the end of his road. I had to let him go...

When I got up this morning,  I looked for Buttons, but he was not there. And then I remembered. I will continue to expect him to greet me at the door after a long day away...to come out to see what I'm doing when I am working in the living room, to keep my feet warm when I got to bed. I will continue to deal with this loss, which is very deep for me.  And I will continue to thank God for answering my prayer...

For it was when I was lost and lonely that God gave me the gift of a forlorn ferral kitten. We were rigth for each other. And for 14 years, we made the greatest pair.

Buttons, I will miss you always....

4 comments:

  1. So sorry about Buttons, sounds like he was a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. I appreciate the thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buttons was the expression of God's love to you. Though Buttons is gone, God's love remains and will appear to you in new ways. Memories are reminders of the good that is always with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I am grateful to be reminded, yes, God's love came to me through Buttons, and will come to me in other ways as well. Thank you for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...