Sunday, December 2, 2012

Finding solace in the desert



The first Sunday of Advent. Advent is a time for yearning. It is also a time for cleansing. We are told that Isaiah prophesied that a voice would cry out in the wilderness asking us to make straight the path to our God (Is. 40:9). I have always thought of Advent as a desert time, a time of personal preparation: clean out the unkind thoughts and grudges, make ready the heart to welcome Divinity in with greater fullness.

But there is another type of desert I am called to. That is to walk with another. For we each have a desert sometime in our life, times when our efforts seem to produce little fruit, when life seems dry and barren, and success and happiness are little more than a mirage. Perhaps the Baptist's call to go into the desert is a cry for me to care for a fellow sojourner whose life has become difficult.

I can fill in the valleys and make every mountain and hill low when I help to balance that person's hope. I can help diminish some of that fear and build up some of that confidence. In short, I can give encouragement and understanding. If I do this, the sojourn in the desert may be shortened, and that person will come out a whole person, not one broken and defeated.

Who of us would not profit by a bit of understanding? Yes, I may act out my fears and anxiety. But if only one person sits by me, holds my hand and hears my story, I find heart and courage. In that courage I may even find healing and wholeness.

Isn't that what the Christmas story is all about? Is it not a story of hope in the midst of a very unfair world? So let me look for that sojourner in the desert, the one who feels weighed down right now and can use a caring heart. Let me reach out not with answers, but with a sympathetic ear that listens to their story. Who knows. That may be the one thing that individual needs at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...