Sunday, December 16, 2012

He did not presume to know



Have you ever met someone whose very demeanor spoke of self-importance?  Someone who acted like a "know it all"? Someone who repelled you because that person talked but did not seem to care about anyone else?


I think that is the contradiction of Jesus. He did not want to be seen as an important figure in the gospels, but as a common man with uncommon love. He came as a child, and was born in a stable so that no one might think him above the rest of human kind. He did not presume to know what it was like to be us, to be poor, or cold, or hungry, or betrayed or suffering or any other human emotion. He came to be us. In effect, he came to be humble.

I think an important part of life is not to presume to know. Even if I have suffered some injury or endured some grief, I do not know what it is like to be someone else going through a hard time. I think one of the messages Jesus wants to give us is to be one with another experience by being silent. Do not presume to know. Let that person share and explain and tell you.

And so I would say, part of the Christmas message is not just peace and joy and hope. I think part of the Christmas message is silence. And I believe the greatest gift I can give to another is to tell myself, I don't  know. For the right kind of silence says, I want to listen, I want to hear you, I want to learn.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...