Thursday, March 17, 2011

Free Falling



Do you sometimes feel like your soul is in a state of "free falling"?  I felt that way this past week, and tried to figure out what was going on in my inner life. My resolutions were going to pot, my energy was wearing thin, and I felt like I'd had a spiritual and moral "blowout". Despite all my trust and faith, I was scared. I was in a real limbo, and I couldn't decide what I was suppose to do.

Then a friend came by Wednesday and started to talk about the eagle. He reminded me that a mother eagle pushes her baby eagle chick out of the nest so that it falls freely through the air, only to swoop down at the last minute to catch it before it hits the ground. The mother does this because her chick will never learn to fly otherwise. Then my friend handed me a page from Deuteronomy 32:10-12 and I read

In a desert land he found him,
   in a barren and howling waste.
He shielded him and cared for him;
   he guarded him as the apple of his eye,
 like an eagle that stirs up its nest
   and hovers over its young,
that spreads its wings to catch them
   and carries them aloft.
The LORD alone led him;
   no foreign god was with him.

  
My friend wanted me to pray for Japan and the victims there. But he was unknowingly offering me something for my own inner tsunami.

Sometimes we are free falling. We need to remember the eagle, who will be there for us. Not when we cry, but when it is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...