Monday, March 28, 2011

Athirst for the Living God



In psalm 42:3 we read Athirst is my soul for the living God. When shall I go and behold the face of God?

It takes time to relearn life. Reading through psalm 42-43 of today’s liturgy, I remember when as a monastic, I sang these psalms, looking up to the altar, aware that my life was for God and God alone. I found great comfort in psalms like these, psalms that re-affirmed my status as a monastic. I think such psalms gave me a reprieve from my overwhelming sense of confinement. The depression that oppressed my soul would momentarily part, and I would see the bigger picture, and believe I had a purpose in life, one yet to be revealed.

When leaving the monastery, I had a hard time letting go of these thoughts. Just like today, when reading the psalm, these past moments of exhilaration return, and I find myself homesick for those times I stood in the center of the choir and sang these words from the depth of my soul, knowing I was literally living out the psalm. 

I have to go beyond this image now. I have to realize I haven’t left the psalm because I left the monastery. I have to know that in my own life here and now, I can still yearn for the living God, wanting to meet him face to face. I have to know that, the sense of purpose I believed in in the past still exists, and waits to be revealed a bit at a time. That I can still stand before God in my heart and imagine my life lived for God alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...