Saturday, March 12, 2011

Chance Encounters



Chance encounter. It's the moment we are invited to step into a different role or invited to move forward to something new, something defining. We often don't recognize these encounters because we wait for something dramatic, something like the conversion of St. Paul, or the call of the disciple Matthew. Most of us will never experience an encounter that pronounced. For most of us, it will consist of something small, so small we can pass the opportunity by without even glancing back and wondering. And the loss will be ours, though we do not know it.

Romans says Those who were not my people I will call "my people" and her who was not beloved I will call "beloved." Because none of us are meant to remain as we are. We are all called forth to something greater, something destined. The question is not, what is my destiny? but how can I prepare so that when my destiny presents itself, I am ready to step forward? ((58:9b)

The invitation can be as subtle as the change of light throughout the day. The rays descend down at a different slant, the intensity varies. We can go though a whole day without noting it. But it is happening.

We all experience chance encounters. How we receive them will determine where we go in life, and how deeply we step into our roles.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...