Saturday, February 7, 2015

God's Neglect




No matter how strong your faith, no matter how fervent your prayer, I think each one of us knows the truth of these words: God neglects us. And I am just as sure, we have all questioned it.
But we are not the first to think these thoughts. The prophets before us, the writer of the psalms, the mystics, even Jesus himself felt abandoned at one time or another.
So how do we deal with God's neglect?
First of all, I have discovered that I have an urgency God does not seem to share. Despite my continued plea, God lets me wait. As I wait, I realize that my urgency usually stems from my desire to avoid all pain and anxiety. When I wait, I discover my inner resources. These are times when I feel as though I am in the desert of life, or in my own agony in the garden of Olives. And as I wonder what happened to God in the story of my life, I have learned that trust and spiritual strength are built not by prayers answered, but by silence to prayers…a seeming neglect of God. In that silence, I am forced to find those hidden inner resources.
I readily admit it...I know I would never have found these treasures had my prayers been answered in my own time frame.
The lesson is not always remembered. I find the next time I feel neglected by God, I have to stop and learn all over again. I need to remember it is not necessary to always understand what God is doing, or feel God’s presence. I need to remember that strength is there, and I need not panic. I also need to remember that this moment has powerful lessons for me. Most of all, I need to remember past “neglects” of God, where I was actually drawn deeper into God’s Presence.
For when I draw strength from within myself, I am actually drawing straight from the Divine Being.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...