Monday, May 14, 2012

If my faith is not changing, then I am not growing


Spring and seeds. A time for new life. Who doesn't get excited at the opportunity to plant. Why? I think it comes down to rejuvenation and hope in this season, hope and a new release on life.

Jesus speaks of faith being a seed sown in our souls. I have been thinking of that quite a bit of late, and these are my thoughts.

Seeds are meant to be transformed. If a seed does not become transformed, it rots where it is planted. Granted, a seed needs water, sun and good soil. But once it has these things, it will show amazing power, even to cracking sidewalks or pavement, as though nothing can keep it from growing and reaching up.

Faith should be like that. Faith should be ever growing, not in trite things such as knowledge of doctrine, but in understanding of the spirit behind these things. If what I believed last year is exactly the same as how I believe today, I have not grown. I have sat. And that produces rot.

For faith to grow, I must come to an ever deeper understandings of what I believe. And this can only be accomplished by daily meditation and Lectio Divina.

I think the degree of our hope is somehow related to the degree of our growth, how that seed is absorbing the water and sun of contemplation. I think that a sterile faith is a dead faith, something more like a habit, that can be derailed at the first obstacle. I think that when the seed is growing, I will find I am changing, imperceptibly, but truly.

And so, I should be changing. My faith, to grow, does not need more knowledge, but more reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...