Saturday, May 5, 2012

The mystery of pain and anguish

Last evening's full moon


I find it painful to see a friend in anguish, and have nothing to offer her but compassion. Sometimes pain comes, and there is little I can do to alleviate it. That is when I come face to face with the mystery of powerlessness.

With that in mind, I found Bernard Bro's words helpful, "The kingdom of God is not established outside of or beyond our lives, but each day as a result of the most insignificant acts. We actually enter into collaboration with God when we begin our search for happiness."

If I can keep in mind that whatever anguish I suffer, it is building, not destroying, perhaps that would give some comfort to a suffering heart. For not all pain can be analyzed. Perhaps most cannot. It remains a mystery, that the God who we are taught is all-good can allow so much suffering in this world.

It brings to mind the verse in Jeremiah 29:11, one that has always brought me great comfort as I journey along the pilgrim way: For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. Plans for your welfare, not for woe! Plans to give you a future full of hope.

I have always found this verse helps put me in a state of mind that accepts the mystery surrounding life. I cannot always understand, or perhaps even often understand. But I can trust. I can believe that the kingdom of God is being established, in some mysterious way, with all that happens to me.

I know this is not a satisfactory answer. I do not pretend to give one. I only offer what has been helpful in my own search, a reminder that what I suffer is not futile; it has the ability to be turned into something. If I can only hold on to that hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...