Saturday, May 19, 2012

Are you at the basic level of faith?



While having a great conversation with a friend last week, she mentioned her daughter was going through a rough time and was pretty upset. In the midst of the conversation, she commented that her daughter was still at that basic level of understanding God. "You know," she continued, "still asking why God who is good allows suffering. The bottom of the ladder of faith." The comment struck a cord.

I thought about comment quite a bit, because I have experienced only too many with the same question. And it brings to mind the need to come to know God before the tragedy, before suffering, before death. Otherwise, when suffering strikes, I will blame God. God should not have allowed this, as though God's only purpose in my life is to make things run smoothly. A God of good feeling.

I believe such faith is a faith full of holes. It is treating God as a medicine, as a remedy.  I am reminded of a reading in Yalom on group therapy, where he explains therapy does not cure, it is a process of healing and growth. And we would rather have a cure, so we don't have to deal with issues anymore. So we could be free of struggle.

I know in my own life, there are times when I wish God would just reach down an make everything Golden for me. But then I stop to think that gold is over-rated, and healing and growth are far superior to good things happening at all times.

And so, you and I, let us not stay at the basic level of understanding. Let us not treat life as good feeling and God as a remedy. Let us be real. Then, when suffering strikes, we will be way beyond the basic question of why, knowing that is not the important question. Instead, we will be looking for what. What growth and healing can I obtain though this experience. What is God saying to me? What strengths will come forth from this experience, strengths I did not know I have.

Is this not better?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...