Sunday, September 18, 2011

For lack of sacred space

Monasteries are places of Sacred Space


I have a word that I love. It is Sacred Space. I think of it as the desert where I meet with God with all distractions removed. But one component absolutely essential for Sacred Space is silence, and I find that almost impossible to find these days.

Noise is so prevalent that it is hard to find quiet even in a church, a park, or a natural setting. Everywhere, people bring their noise with them and think nothing of imposing that noise upon all. It would seem that noise is as virulent as the latest disease promoted in Contagion!

Why silence? Think of Isaiah 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord, and psalm 145:18-19 The Lord is near to all who call upon him, to all who call upon him in truth. I know these verses well. But how often do they come to mind when I need them? Not often enough. And that is because all things I believe in remain theoretical and esoteric until I make them a part of myself. To do that, I need my Sacred Space to meditate, reflect, be still and ponder.

If you would find your Sacred Space, run from the contagion of NOISE. Find yourself some silence and quiet where you can dialogue with God. Let that space be your protection and safeguard.

We cannot cure the world of NOISE. But we can keep ourselves from becoming infected with it.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...