Saturday, May 14, 2011

The challenge of truth


Who do you say that I am? The question is direct, and it begs for honesty. What Jesus is really asking is have you discovered the truth for yourself?  Or are you basing your opinion of me on what others are saying? 

The same question can be applied to our image of ourselves. Who do I say that I am?  Is my image formed by what others say of me, what people tell me I am, what I imagine I am? Or have I discovered my own truth?

The question is important because we cannot make the spiritual journey without first entering into the cell of self-knowledge, which is necessary if we hope to go deeper into truth. It means to discover the authentic self, not from the image others give me, or even that I give to myself, but from my destiny.

Sometimes we look with envy at what someone else is doing because we fear to become what we are destined to be. We find every excuse to deny our own potential because we fear the pain, the demands, the sacrifice it takes to accept our own truth.  It is easier to let what others say I am be enough. But it is never enough. To remain an image is to remain hollow.

Self-knowledge requires serious reflection, self-reflection, prayer, courage, and acceptance. It demands authenticity. Only serious souls will journey down that path and not settle for less.

The whole of faith is built upon truth. It starts with self-knowledge. So, who do I say that I am?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...