Thursday, May 5, 2011

Looking through the glass which is me




Honesty. It is so necessary in our lives, our spiritual even more than our temporal. Honesty requires awareness. None of us can step back and look at ourselves and see what is really there. Not at first. It takes years of self-reflection, evaluation, discussion. Honestly must start with ourselves.

Honesty must also direct our relationships with those we hold dear in any way. To have a relationship that reaches beyond the superficial requires a trust that allows me to share with another my authentic self. To do so, I must trust in the other’s ability to respect who I am. Such trust invites reciprocity, begets transparency, and yields honest conversations.

This brings us to our relationship with God. 1 John 4:20 says for the one who does not love his brother or sister whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen. Our ability to be honest with a brother, sister, friend, partner really affects how honest we truly are with God. For the pattern begins with the tangible here, and only an authentic relationship will teach us how to relate with the God we cannot see.

I believe the first step really begins with myself. My ability to see God depends on my own honesty with self. It's as though the looking glass to God is me, and until I clean the mirror, I cannot find the God within. The cleaning solution is honesty, a true sense of myself, an acceptance of the who I really am.

In effect, our journey can only reveal to us what we are first willing to accept.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...