Thursday, December 29, 2011

Discover the power



New Year is almost here, and many of us are making resolutions. I would like to suggest a resolution most will probably not think of: make time for Lectio Divina.

Lectio Divina is a medieval monastic custom, a form of reading, particularly, reading scripture. Duncan Robertson explains that the reader "tastes" the words of Scripture on the "palate" of the heart, or indeed literally in the mouth as he or she pronounces them; one has then to "chew" the text thoroughly and "digest" it, that is to say, proceed toward interpretation and personal appropriation. This formulation takes into account the affective, even visceral, responses that precede understanding, and eventually accompany and follow it. The reader, according to Cassian, should feel the "power" of the words, before attempting to grasp their meaning; understanding would come later...as a gift of the Spirit at some unguarded moment....

Think of that word power. If your reading of scripture is to memorize, you have not felt the power of the Words. If you read scripture simply to educate yourself, you will not understand its mystery. Even if you read scripture prayerfully, you will still not experience the power of these words. To do so, you must take time to let the words rest on the "palate" of your heart, and then "chew" them by repeating them over and over again. Remember the words of Robertson--understanding comes later, as a gift of the Spirit at some unguarded moment, like driving in your car, or waiting at the checkout counter, or even eating dinner.

Lectio offers me an opening to understanding, because it asks me to hold on to the Word for a greater length of time. I need to stay with that Word, treasure it from every angle, and gaze on it without needing to interpret. I repeat it not in an intellectual way, but in a visceral way, waiting for it to reveal its own mysteries to me. I wait, not forcing my understanding, but willing to carry that word until the Spirit descend into my soul with new meaning and understanding.

This is how I discover the Power of the Word. This is the change that transforms me.  When I learn to sit and wait, when I give the Word a new respect by holding it sacred, I prepare myself for revelation. That revelation is not for others, but for me, for my life with the Divine, for my own nourishment.

Herein is the Power. Herein is the transformation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...