Friday, December 2, 2011

Be a messenger of hope



Words. They are only as important as we make them. If I do not hold to what I promise, my words are cheap and empty. If I mean what I say, then my words are true, and they hold respect and trust.

I think that is the meaning of Alfred Delp's words, let ourselves be comforting messengers. Hope grows through the one who is herself a person of the hope and the promise. We can only offer that which we hold true.

I think Advent is a time to take stock of my words and to honor my promises. To make sure I carry out what I say, regardless of its inconvenience, to be more authentic in my speech.

That is because Advent is about the Word. As the book of Wisdom says so eloquently, For while all things were in quiet silence, and the night was in the midst of her course, Thy almighty word leapt down from heaven from thy royal throne. (Wisdom 18:14-15)

That Word stayed true. It came for a purpose, and it accomplished that purpose. My words should be as sacred. I should do what I say, even if it is night and no one else is around to witness it. This is how I become a messenger of hope. This is how I further the promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...