Monday, September 24, 2012

Knowing the gift when it comes



I thought I would never say this, but sometimes I think we need to be content with less. Let me explain.

Perhaps it is the culture we live in, or perhaps some of us (or maybe just myself) have grandiose ideas of what life could be like. But I am realizing I miss out when I am shooting too high and not compromising. Not that I don't believe we should dream big. But if my head is in the clouds, then I wonder if I miss the smaller gift that comes along.

I say this as I think of Jesus. For centuries, a Messiah had been prophesied. My understanding is that the Israelites prayed daily for the Messiah, begging God to send him to save Israel. But, as John so eloquently says, he came unto his own, and his own received him not. (Jn 1:11). Why? Because Jesus was too lowly, to humble of birth. He did not promise an earthly kingdom, he did not free them from Roman rule. Even Jesus disciples expected at least that much. In other words, Jesus was a big disappointment.

I wonder just how much I resemble the faithful of Jesus' times. I wonder how many blessings I miss because I am looking for something bigger, something grander. And God sends something humble my way, but I don't see it. I'm waiting for that big grace or event or moment. And so I stand waiting for the earth shattering grace of God, while the soft whisper of God's voice perhaps passes me by. I don't know, but I am wondering.

We are called to believe in big things. I guess the secret is, to believe while still seeing God in the humble aspects of our lives. Not really a balancing act, but an openness to the moment. Perhaps this is what Jesus meant when he said to the Samaritan woman, If you but knew the gift of God, and who it is saying to you 'Give me to drink" (Jn 4:10).

Perhaps that is the secret. Perhaps that is also a life's work.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Amy,

    I'm right there with you! It seems to me that a great deal of Jesus' teaching and ministry intentionally directed us toward the small, the least, last, weak, meek, sick, outcast, lowly, and poor. I am reminded of both Jesus' allegories of the mustard seed and of Elijah's hearing of the still small voice.

    Of course, we can infect anything with our desires for recognition and esteem, so that false humility can be the guise for our spiritual pride, our ambition to be the first by seeking to be last. Hahahahhaaaa! We're such funny creatures. :-P

    Agape,
    Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chuck. I am encouraged by your insight. I don't like to think we walk a fine rope, and yet, there is such complexity to being a follower. It is not simply a right or a left, a black or a white. It is so many inbetween things.

    I will reflect on what you have written and see where it leads me. Thanks again!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...