Friday, September 21, 2012

Walking where no one wants to tread



Come. It was one simple word. And Peter got out of the boat and walked on water (Mt 14:29).

Much as been said about this incident as told in the gospels. It begs the question, how far will I go to follow my beliefs?

Jesus often invites me to “come” and step forward. What holds me back? For one, I tend to stay with what is secure, what is familiar. I might even question, what did Peter accomplish by stepping out of the boat? He grew afraid and began to sink. And Jesus had to reach out and save him. What kind of faith is that?

But that is precisely the point. Peter did not hesitate to move, and when he needed Jesus, he was there. Stepping forward toward the Divine does not negate fear or failure…it simple helps me go deeper in my relationship with God.

Faith should never reach a plateau. And to keep my faith active and alive, there will be times when I am invited to step out. As a follower of Jesus, those times will probably come as an inner whisper echoing in my heart, come!  It is then I have a choice: stay in the security of my boat, or be willing to step out onto the fluid waters with hope. If I begin to sink, well, I know Jesus is somewhere near. I must realize that sinking is not the danger...staying in the boat and waiting for something to happen is.

For faith bids me to believe that I will find that treasure I am searching for...the destiny planned for me from all eternity. All that has gone before me has prepared me for a particular moment. I must not put it off, waiting for the perfect time. Peter stepped out of the boat in a raging storm! So, when the whisper of God is in my heart, and I hear the invitation come, I must go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...