Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Running with my heart, and trusting my instincts



I love the psalm that tells us to sing to the Lord a new song, for he has done wondrous deeds (98:1). I love it because I love to sing. But as I sit here with this psalm before me, I wonder what it is telling me when it says I should sing a new song. 

Why does the song have to be new? Why not sing a familiar song, or a favorite one? Perhaps the message is that when we sing to the Lord, the song needs to come from my  heart, to be my expression of my sentiments.

I remember when I worked on my undergrad thesis. The chair of the department had his own views on who I should write about and what I should write. I did not feel comfortable with that agenda. So I switched advisors. My new advisor told me to run with my heart, and trust my instincts. That brought me into a new level of exploration and confidence. Trusting my instincts, I found the new.

I think that is what psalm 98 is telling us. There are many songs out there for us to sing. But when I sing to the Lord and run with my own heart, I come to a new level with the Lord. The song is no longer a general hymn of praise, but reflects something I have found within my own heart. I am empowered, because I have made the song my own. I have found the new.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...