Saturday, November 26, 2011

Advent: a time of preparation



This afternoon, Advent will begin with First Vespers. The whole liturgical tone will change and an attitude of preparation will permeate the season. In monasteries, Advent is a time to seriously prepare the soul for a greater awareness of God by fasting, prayer and penance. Make straight a pathway to our God we read in John 1:23. How do we make our pathway straight?

Peter John Cameron writes At a certain point in life, the profound desires and cravings of our heart reach a point of eruption in us. Yet, at the same time comes the awareness that we cannot bring about what we want--we do not have inside us what is needed to fulfill and satisfy our longings. And so with our infinite yearnings we turn to the Infinite and cry, "Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down."

Cameron is explaining how we make our path straight, through a greater awareness of our need for the Divine Being. Advent is a season that reflects on our need for the Infinite to dwell within, to satisfy the human heart, to fulfill our longings. Advent is a protection against consumerism, which would have us believe that Christmas is all about giving gifts. Christmas is about receiving Divinity, and our ability to receive is comparable to our preparation.

In monasteries, Advent always begins with a personal resolution. I continue this practice, and this year I resolve  to spend more quiet time in reflection, so that I can deepen my relationship with the One who can fulfill all my longings. I will do this so that I remember the spiritual and not be caught up with the material. For me, it will be a way to preserve my monastic heritage and not loose my monastic roots. For me, it will be a reminder that the Infinite wants to dwell within me if I give room.

What will it be for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...