Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Light and darkness in a new way



How often do we see darkness as evil and light as God. And yet, scripture would tell us, it ain’t always so. There are times when the darkness we experience is actually good, a time of rest and rejuvenation. Conversely, there are times when light is not God, but scorching heat and even subtle pride.
Psalm 121:6 speaks to this time: The sun shall not smite you in the day, nor the moon at night. These words infer that light can be harmful at times, times when I put a lot of trust in myself, my own reflections, my own inspirations, and forget that I am and always will remain wounded. And that seems to be the problem.
I think we people of faith tend to struggle between feeling unworthy and forgetting that I remain wounded no matter how strong my faith. It is for me to strike a balance between the two. First of all, I do not need to become "worthy" in God's eyes. I only need to go forward in trust, a humble trust that remembers always, I am a vulnerable being.
As Christians, we are often taunted by the same words used against Christ and Jeremiah, "If he is God's chosen one, surely God will save him." I bet some of us have even spoken those words to ourselves. And yet, how wrong they are! I should replace them with the words of psalm 23:4 Even if I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil, for you are with me with your rod and staff, that give me courage.
This is the truth, that for a believer, neither darkness nor light will harm. Because both have gifts to offer, both have advantages, both bring grace, if I accept my vulnerability.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed this. Have you read Barbara Brown Taylor's new book on darkness? She has the same theories as you. IT's not always bad.

    ReplyDelete

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...