Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Returning to an old frame of mind





If there is one word that seems to have fall to the side, it might be the word Sacrifice. It seems to be the forgotten virtue.

It used to be an expected part of every day life. It used to be the cost of success. It used to be the expected part of a spiritual life.

Now, it seems even our spirituality tends toward the attitude of what's in it for me? And that attitude is always taking, always wanting, always looking for more. 

Sacrifice is about what I am willing to give. Sacrifice teaches me even as it strengthens me.

Because it is a frame of mind. It is me looking for a way to return some of the good that has been handed on to me. Sacrifice is, in effect, gratitude.

Psalm 116:12 says, How shall I repay the Lord for all the good done for me? In verse 17, the psalmists answers, I will offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving and call on the name of the Lord.

Good thoughts. Good advice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...