Monday, January 21, 2013

Be the change you wish to see



The sermon yesterday was about change. It came because the Gospel was about Jesus changing water into wine (John 2: 1-11). The sermon concentrated on the inner change many of us are afraid to make, and how we would rather do some outward change of place, job, or home, than deal with ourselves, especially our insecurities.

That got me to thinking of the challenge of change. I think most of us find real change a scary thing. But I think we are afraid only because we do not know the gift of God that is within us (John 4:5), and gives us amazing inner strength. As I work with clients, I have seen that most individuals are not aware of their own talents or abilities. This is especially true of individuals who have been a victim at one time or another. Somehow, being victimized has taught them to believe they are helpless. They continue to struggle many times because they feel powerless to take control.

And yet, each of us has this inner strength. To change from a powerless victim to one empowered, I first need to believe. I  then need to call upon this inner strength, and step into the challenges of life. If I wait for others to affirm me, I may wait forever. In truth, I have an inner strength, here, today, now. I just need to access it.  

The good news is, I can do all things in him who strengthens me (Philippians 4:13).

For I am stronger than I realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...