Friday, January 18, 2013

Every day begins now



We hear the words, "a new year begins with new hope." Why do we delineate time this way? As if one day gives more than another.What am I talking about?

I mean that this year started badly for me. A loss, an illness, and a near tragedy. When I was asked about it, I realized, this is not how "my year begins" as if the rest of the year is shot. It is a few incidents that happened to come in the beginning of January. They could have come in any month.

I find that we tend to think too linear. As if the only time to hope begins Jan. 1. I am fighting that image, and seeing that time is a human construct. Because each day, each moment allows me a new step. And what happens is not indicative of my future and the rest of 2013, but only of how things are now. This is my journey at this moment. It is not my New Year, or 2013.

I am saying this because I know I tend to wait for signature days for something good or new to happen. I am working to see life as an everyday opportunity. Every day I can begin something new. Every day I can see that what happens is only what happens, and not some prediction of the rest of that year.

Every day. That is my New Year's resolution. To take life one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...