Thursday, January 12, 2012

Thirsting for more...

Artwork by Mary Grace Thul, OP


For any sojourner on the way, The words of Sirach 24:18-21 can bring much hope: Come to me, all you that yearn for me, and be filled with my fruits; you will remember me as sweeter than honey, better to have than the honeycomb. She who eats of me will hunger still, she who drinks of me will thirst for more; She who obeys me will not be put to shame, she who serves me will never fail.

The words bring to mind that neediness is not something to be disposed of, but accepted. The concepts are counter to what most of us wish--that our desires never find fulfillment, but instead, are increased: she who drinks of me will thirst for more. 

The words bring to mind our usual reaction: when we enjoy things in life, we do not hang it up. We want more. (I think of popcorn, and how I can never have enough of it!)

I think Sirach is telling us in not so subtle ways that loving God should be a tangible and satisfying affair. That it should not make the heart satisfied, but begging for more.

I think the last line in this quote tells us something unique. It doesn't say, she who serves me will succeed, but she who serves me will never fail. I think there is a huge difference. Success can be personally satisfying, self-fulfilling achievement. It is also, in a sense, the end of the journey. And while a sojourner on this earth, our journey will not end. And so, by saying we shall never fail, the writer is in effect acknowledging the need to continue moving forward. In a way, the writer is addressing the realism of life, our ups and downs, our doubts as well as our faith. In all that happens, nothing need spell failure unless we let it.

It is good to remember these things as we travel forward. It is good to remember that thirst, desire, yearning works toward our favor, if we live in the spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...