Tuesday, March 3, 2015

My Transfiguration Moment




In the gospel story about Peter, James and John being taken on a mountain apart, they see Jesus transfigured before their eyes. I've often thought this a pretty cool experience, something I'd only read about in the gospels.
Then I realize, it happens to me as well. I am transfigured in my own life every time I listen to an inspiration or respond to an inner prompting.
My problem is, I have to stop thinking of God and the things of God as esoteric. I have to stop reading the gospels as something that happened to others long ago. I can have a gospel experience here and now.
My problem comes in looking at the readings as "extraordinary". It comes with thinking of the transfiguration only as Jesus, with his face shining like the sun and his clothes white as snow, with the cloud descending and the Father's voice thundering. Most likely, these things I will never see.
But I will see life in different lights...some as brilliant as the sun...with those inspirations that come to me during meditation, or even during a simple walk. I will hear the voice of God deep within the cloud of my own consciousness, prompting me, guiding me, encouraging me. I will find myself remembering words from the prophets in ways that enlighten my life in the here in now.
Truth be told, these are my transfiguration moments. These are gospel moments coming to me in an authentic way. If I wait for the Jesus in the white garment thing, then I'll miss all the wonderful experiences open to me every day. I’ll miss my own transfiguration moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...