Monday, November 9, 2009

Finding My Way


Often the following of Jesus is described in negative terms; the way is narrow, few are those who find it. Many are called, few are chosen. Such lines could fill us with the dread that unless we are in some way miserable, unless life is hard and we are suffering, we aren’t followers of Jesus.

I beg to differ. St. Catherine of Siena says that “the way to heaven is broad,” and that “all the way to heaven is heaven.” I’ve always been impressed with the contradiction of St. Catherine’s statement and St Matthew’s gospel passages.

So what is this narrow way promoted by Matthew? I’ve come to believe that the narrow way spoken of in the gospel points to the way destined for the individual, one no one else has traveled before, because it is meant for me alone. Following that way is difficult, because it requires learning discernment, overcoming the fear of making a decision because it might be wrong. It means taking chances, having courage to be responsible for my choices, having the ability to say I’m wrong, turn around, and try again. To follow the “narrow way” is to follow that path set out for me alone, the one God intended that my feet, and only my feet trod, the one that leads to my destiny. It requires blazing my way through areas no one else has gone before. It requires letting God be my beacon, over everyone else. Yea, scary stuff. But oh! so fulfilling! It doesn’t discount other’s inspiration and admirable conduct. But it does realize that however much I’m influenced by another’s journey, my journey requires a particular faithfulness to God’s plan for me. And few there are who have the courage to believe and follow such an individualized path.

2 comments:

  1. I like your interpretation of Matthew's 'narrow way.' I never would have thought of it in those terms. My thoughts had always been the more commonplace view that acceptance of the difficulties of life leads to fuller life.

    But now I'm interested in how you reconcile Catherine's broad way with the individual journey -? No thoughts on this end yet. I'm still just trying to absorb.

    Emmanuella, OP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Emmanuella. I think the two are speaking of different things. Matthew is speaking of the individual's choice on the journey...shall I follow someone else's path, or shall I take the one marked out for me by God? Catherine of Siena's remark speaks of the joy of being on that path, and the many who are sincere in seeking God. You can follow your path, and I follow mine, but we are still on a journey toward God who is the Light. I believe there are many on this journey, but our lives, and therefore our path, play out differently.

    ReplyDelete

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...