Friday, April 12, 2013

The treasure in the field




We read in Matthew 13:44 that The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in the field. I always thought of that treasure as something we find, something we sell all we have to buy that field so that we can keep that treasure, a treasure outside of ourselves.

But another thought occurred to me when I was talking to a friend about the goodness that we have within, but often fail to remember. This happens especially when God seems deaf to our prayers, when we are crying out for guidance and open doors. When we cry for help and hear nothing but silence, it is easy then to blame myself: I am not heard because I am not pure enough. God cannot give me what I ask for because I have failed in some way. It is always my fault, my failure, my negligence. That is the temptation.

That is when I realized, gosh, I am not the one who gives all for the treasure hidden in the field so much as God. Because In Jesus, God came down and gave up his God-hood. And for what? For nothing less than myself. Oh how easy it is to forget that I have hidden inside of me all sorts of gifts from God. I have goodness that I sometimes hide, and generosity, and kindness and mercy. But I forget. I get caught up in appearing strong and hard and immoveable. Because that is what my culture or my self tells me I should be. I forget that inside of me is a treasure chest of goodness, compassion and mercy.

And so, when God does not hear my prayers, when doors do not open for me as they have in the past, let me not dishonor myself. God gave all for a treasure hidden in the field. It's for me to remember. And that will help me in my wait.

As to why God makes me wait, well thought that would require a whole new post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...