Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Simplicity of Heart

In John 14:6 we read Jesus words: I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, then you will also know my Father.

Philip, all afire, declares, Show us the Father and that will be enough for us.

And Jesus replies, Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father.

This discourse is a good checklist for our spiritual life. We seek God. We go to great lengths to purify our heart, our soul and our mind. And yet, God is there all the time. While we are looking for something esoteric, God is simply sitting inside our heart, waiting for us to recognize him.

Evelyn Underhill writes in Practical Mysticism that mystical consciousness has the power of lifting those who possess it to a plane of reality...

Jesus told Martha that she was worried and upset about many things, but only one things is necessary. Such simplicity.

How can we find that one thing necessary? By becoming so conscious of God that our reality is vibrant and true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...