Sunday, January 10, 2016

Is your spirituality hurting you?



I confess, I am a proponent of spirituality. I believe it helps us in invaluable ways: believing in something bigger than yourself helps you feel grounded. It gives you direction in life. And it helps you find meaning in a world where there is plenty of confusion and pain.

Yet, over and over again, I meet with individuals whose spirituality is more of a roadblock than a guide. And I confess, I have used it that way myself.

Here's what I've learned from my own experience. I had safety in religion and the guidelines it offers. It told me what I should believe, and how I should conduct myself. I liked that, because it offered security and stability.

But then came a point where it failed to be true in all circumstances of my life, leaving me with unanswered questions.

I had to be disillusioned before I would risk stepping further. I had to stop using my beliefs as a shield, and begin questioning, seeking answers not given to me by religion or past beliefs.

As I reflect on this journey, I realize that spirituality should be something that grows beyond the groundedness we feel in a certain belief or religion. If I do not grow, then I have let religion and spirituality be a shield instead of a journey.

Just something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...