Friday, April 3, 2015

Good Friday Way of the Cross



Good Friday. A time for reflection. A powerful thought comes from what is termed by some as "The Way of the Cross" meaning Jesus walk from Jerusalem to the Mount of Calvery.

When I stop to reflect, I can see that I too have my own "Way of the Cross" journey. It comes when I find that my path, similar to a walk in the woods, gets muddy, and I get my feet dirty. It is when I find I cannot see the sun, or when the beauty around me ceases to amaze and I find myself pretty much alone.

I cannot image anyone who hasn't felt these emotions at some point on their spiritual journey. I believe the secret for weathering such times comes from remembering the truths that I  held when things were good. If I believe in something and it is true, going through a "muddy feet" period in my life does not make that truth any less real. It is during these times of less sun and less amazement that I have a chance to examine not just what I believe, but why. And sometimes the why is more revealing than I like to admit.

Do I believe because I love? Or do I believe because I fear hell, or damnation, or whatever happens to bad people? Is my trust in God just hope for security, that nothing bad will happen, or do I trust "even though I should walk in the valley of death"? Do I practice spirituality to feel good? Or do I believe because I have discovered?

All of these questions become clear during times of "muddy feet". Because, if my spirituality is for myself, then I will abandon it in times of stress and doubt and pain. But if I am in it for the Other, namely, for the Divine Being I do not yet know, then I will continue my walk, because I will know this too is part of the journey. All paths have mud puddles in them. And my spiritual walk is no different.

This is the "Way of the Cross": my walk that continues despite struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...