Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Holy Daring!

Make every place the "house of the Lord"


There is one thing I ask of the Lord, this I seek; to dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life (Ps 27).

This psalm reminds me of a great woman mystic, St Teresa of Avila. In her writings she invites us to be familiar with God, to believe in God, and to count on God. She called it "holy daring." I would believing that I can be in the presence of God always as part of that daring faith.

If you have ever read any of the writings of Teresa of Avila, you will be familiar with her type of conversation with God. She writes that she tripped one day when about to get into a carriage, and fell into a mud puddle. She heard Jesus say, "This is how I treat my friends."  "Well, then, it's no wonder you have so few," she replied.

I love such dialogue. I want that familiar relationship with Jesus. I want to be so close to God that no matter where I go, or no matter what life brings, I am dwelling in "the hose of the Lord" by being wrapped in God's presence. In a sunset; in a mud puddle.

This is my prayer today. I pray the same for you.

1 comment:

  1. Both St. Teresa and her beloved had quite a sense of humor! Nicely shared, Amy.

    ReplyDelete

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...